back1

Monday 28 February 2011

The joy of being resourceful...

For many of my twenty seven(!) years I have dabbled with the idea of becoming a resourceful person. We all know the type, compost heap in the garden, stash of carrier bags in the boot, homemade preserves in the cupboard etc. Well tonight I feel I have made yet more leaps and bounds in that direction. I can't explain why or how, it isn't something I have done or not done, it's just my mind set I guess.

I recieved a bunch of beautiful tulips yesterday, my all time favourite flower, from my sister who knew I was feeling a little down in the dumps. Usually I would have oohed and ahhed at the flowers and given little interest to the packaging. Instead I popped the cone shaped cellophane in the drawer when I was setting them in a vase. Tonight I was using up some leftover pastry making jam tarts and I made a tear in the flour bag. Voila, that cellophane came in handy! I suppose the point of my story is not the wrapping, the use of left over pastry or the fac I recieved flowers but just the joy I got from reusing something. From beginning to think as a resourceful person and put my available resources to good use. Obviously that was just a small story to illustrate my point but there are a million and one things I have done over the past few weeks that tonight I am feeling very proud of. It has proved to myself that it sometimes is the small things that make a (healthier) world of difference.

Some of the things I have done include:-
  • Beginning to shop in charity shops, thus reducing my carbon footprint
  • Cut my food shopping bill in half for two weeks running by resourceful thinking and clever planning- plus we are eating healthier meals!
  • Reduced my waste significantly, admittedly some is just recycling but also alot of upcycling going on
  • Changed the midset of myself and my family towards the environment and the way we treat it
  • Cooked more- which I find relaxing and rewarding
  • Gained confidence in my ability to make these small changes
  • Made my first bowl using only magazines and hot glue- I will post the tutorial for this in the week. it looks fab!
  • Reduced our gas, water and electricity. This is easier for us to monitor as we are on meters but I am sure it would be just as easy to take meter readings
  • Spent less on 'things' and 'stuff' I have analyzed every purchase and more often than not decided I do not need it
  • Re organised my wardrobe and donated a lot of clothes and bric-a-brac to charity
  • Drank more water. Well it saves boiling the kettle every hour and is good for my skin :)
  • Had more eaten pack lunches from the princess. I have decided to use up the left over pasta etc in packed lunches instead of preparing sandwiches. This has been an immense success with my little fussy eater!

That is all I can think of for now. But above all of these things I have gained a great deal of pride and satisfaction in the way I run my home. I feel like I have become a fully fledged adult!!

I wonder what the rest of this week will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment